Sunday, April 28, 2013

Happy Palm Sunday

Palm Sunday marks the beginning of the Holy Week, and is the Sunday before Easter. It celebrates Jesus' entry to Jerusalem. He rode in on a donkey while crowds of people on the street waved palm branches to welcome him. They shouted "Hosanna" and laid their cloaks and palm branches in His path.

If any of you are interested in reading the scripture here it is: Matthew 21:1-11,14-17

So today is Palm Sunday and as a child I remember going to the old city of Jerusalem and being very excited to get my own palm branch decorated with colorful flowers (most likely they would be carnations). We would go to church where there would be more kids carrying their oversized palm branches and afterwards we would wait for the scouts to pass by. We could tell when they were near because we would hear the drums and the bagpipes in the distance. The scouts were my favorite part of the day and they still are. Now on Palm Sundays instead of me carrying a palm branch everywhere I go, my nephews and my cousins' kids are the ones holding them, but I still do enjoy watching the scouts and being around family. HAPPY PALM SUNDAY EVERYONE :)

Natalie's Nephew  holding a palm branch on Palm Sunday (2011)

3 comments:

  1. Aw I would have loved to experience this with your family! Next year please? X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks for posting, it brought back so many beautiful memories. Palm Sunday is one of the best times to be in the city (Jerusalem)!

    ReplyDelete