Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Happy Siblings Day!

Just as we have Mother's Day and Father's Day, National Siblings Day is a date worth marking on the calendar. Claudia Evart lost two siblings at a young age. In an effort to honor their memories and find comfort after her painful loss, she founded National Siblings Day on April 10, which was the birthday of her late sister. In 2000, President Bill Clinton signed a presidential message recognizing the date, as did President George W. Bush in 2005.

We exist thanks to our parents, but our siblings also shape our identity in profound ways. So why not honor and celebrate them!

We all have different relationships with our siblings—some close, some difficult, and others nonexistent. Some of you might not have blood related siblings but still have people who you love as a sibling. So today is the day to honor, appreciate and cherish all brothers and sisters and memorialize those who are no longer with us.

Show some sibling love!  We all have stories to tell so email/post/comment a story and/or a picture of you and your sibling. And we will share it on our blog.

Here's is Natalie's stories plus a picture, enjoy !


Natalie and her sister & brother 1995

Once my brother and I (Natalie) got stuck on a Ferris Wheel, and my brother who was at the time around 14-15 and I was around 6-7, kept me distracted by talking to me so I wouldn't realize we were stuck, freak out, and cry! #siblinglove

When I (Natalie again) was four my sister and I were playing hide and seek and it was my turn to hide. She was looking for me but could not find me ANYWHERE. It turned out I crawled under my crib and fell asleep there :)
__________________________________________________________________________

*Yvonne Saba
Yvonne, her sister, and mother 1999
This is a picture of my mom, sister and me standing in our driveway back home in Syracuse, New York. My story is about a happy memories from that very same driveway where my sister and I would ride our bikes up and down the driveway. When October came around we would dress up and go trick or treating with my mom for Halloween. In our backyard we had a little garden where we grew cucumbers and mint leaves. This picture really takes me back to that driveway where we would play in the snow during the winter even when my mom told us not to, haha XD
__________________________________________________________________________


*Amanda Ben-Ezra

This is my best friend Bianca, we may not be siblings by blood but we are definitely sisters, and I am so lucky! Bianca and I met when we were in the fifth grade, I was 9 and she was 10, I cant even begin to list how many wonderful memories I have with her. I love her very much and she is the closest person I have to a sister, thanks Binx. 

1 comment:

  1. ME and my siblings fight all the time. but I love them. Happy Siblings Day!

    ReplyDelete