Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Holocaust Memorial

"For The Dead And The Living, We Must Bear Witness" -Eli Wiesel

Yesterday was the Holocaust Remembrance Day, also known as Yom HaShoah (יום השואה). This famous quote by Eli Wiesel, a Holocaust survivor, reminds us to remember those who died, tribute those who survived, and to recognize the past so that it never happens again.

For those who may not know, The Holocaust was the mass murder of approximately 6 million Jews, I will not go into detail but it is a very important day to remember those whose lives were taken away from them.

I (Amanda) recently visited Germany and went to the Dachau Concentration Camp, which was the first of the Nazi Concentration Camps. The day I went happened to be a very cold and rainy day and it really gave me a deeper understanding of the torture these people went through. It was my first time at a concentration camp and the experience was sad and intense, but as a Jew it was important for me to see such an important part of history. Rest In Peace.

Photo taken by Amanda Ben-Ezra: Gate to Dachau concentration camp

Photo taken by Amanda Ben-Ezra: commemorative plaque


No comments:

Post a Comment